The Dean of Students Office, in cooperation with Harvard Procurement and Transportation Services, is able to provide the following transportation options for officially recognized student organizations.
The following options are offered to help ensure that student groups have better options to manage the risks associated with travel.
- When traveling by car, students are encouraged to rent vehicles rather than use personal vehicles
- Harvard has negotiated rental rates and insurance coverage through Enterprise/National at the Cambridge location for which student organizations are eligible
- Zipcar offers vehicles on campus for use by students
- Rental cars are best for local and regional travel within the New England area
- Download information about on rental car insurance coverage for student groups
Enterprise Rental Car
Rental cars can be reserved through Harvard's Travel Portal.
- $56.75 per day for a seven-person minivan or similar vehicle
- 150 free miles per day
- $40,000 worth of collision (Massachusetts minimum) and comprehensive insurance, under-25 fee waived, and extra driver surcharge waived
- Rental must originate from Massachusetts Avenue or Western Avenue Enterprise locations
- Enterprise will accept returns on Sunday at Western Avenue location or returns on Monday at the Massachusetts Avenue location without extra day charge as long as return is done at store opening
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older
- Minimum two drivers on rental agreement - both drivers must be present at time of rental with valid driver’s licenses
- Must present Harvard University I.D. and be an officially recognized student organization of Harvard College
- Major credit card required
- Contact Information: Kristin McGrath - Enterprise contact for Harvard College student organizations - (781) 937-5032
Zipcar allows you to use a car when needed without incurring the fixed costs of ownership.
- For a reduced $25/year annual membership fee, Harvard affiliates can use Zipcar vehicles when needed (for as little as one hour) and pay based on how much you drive.
- Low hourly and daily rates include gas and insurance. Zipcars are parked throughout the Cambridge and Boston areas.
- Only the vehicles on campus can be utilized by Harvard affiliated drivers 18-20 years of age.
- Visit Harvard's Commuter Choice for more information
Zimride is an easy-to-use service that allows Harvard affiliates to find others with similar commuting patterns or one-time travel needs. A social network platform with optional Facebook integration, Zimride is easy to use and helps establish trust among users. Just like with Facebook, Zimriders can view profiles for common networks, interests, and friends before deciding to share a ride. You can even share your Zipcar through Zimride to reduce the cost.
- It is best whenever possible to hire a professional and reputable transportation provider particularly when traveling longer distances or with larger groups
- Contact Harvard's Transportation Services to discuss your needs and inquire about preferred vendors (617) 495-0400. Shuttle buses and vans are available to University affiliates for charter to on and off campus locations through Transportation Services. All charter service fees are billed by the hour with a 2 hour minimum. They can also provide referrals to preferred carriers who may be able to offer expanded services. Visit the Harvard Transportation website to learn more about charters.